Thursday, August 30, 2007

after school special

After class yesterday I patronized one of the at least 3 Korean restaurants in the alley-ish street behind the university. These all cater to college students (foreign and non), and so are very diverse. There is even an Indian man who stands outside an Indian restaurant that I am afraid to go in. What I like about most of these restaurants is that they have a tiny second floor you can eat on. Somehow, though, I don't feel I deserve to eat on the second floor until I have friends. If this doesn't happen by the end of the year, I'll spend my last few hours in the upstairs by myself eating a bowl of tears.
The noodle dish (in chinese: "leng mian" - cold noodles) is very similar to the same dish that I ate all the time in Beijing at a Korean place there. It usually comes with meat on top, but other than that it contains buckwheat noodles, pickley carrots, cucumber, kimchee, and a boiled egg. This one had scallions that I picked around. It didn't have sesame seeds like my old timey favorite one, but the broth was the same 1:1 sugar water ratio that I was hoping for. When I got hungry later (what is it with Asian food?!?! Ladies?!?!), I sipped some expired yogurt from a bottle. In Beijing I know you could return the bottle and some of your 20c back, but I was on the move. No time.

1 comment:

Abby said...

mmm, so salty and warm, your tears.