Friday, October 26, 2007

role reversal


I've probably already mentioned how they put crystalized sugar coated tomatoes on birthday cakes, but here are some more examples of gender-bending fruit and vegetable, sweet and savory notions that challenge my American ideas about freedom. First, corn is huge in China. Host sister's favorite candy is a corncob shaped soft candy (though it's also available in a hard candy), of which there are about 6-7 different brands, just for this specific candy! When I was poking around in my Indonesian friend's fridge, I found corn yogurt, which, in addition to a frightfully accurate corn flavor, also has small kernels floating around in it. When we were at Carrefour, we also saw fruit pizza. I guess at this point, fruit pizza is more like something Cafe Flora serves, and less like something I should make fun of China for having, but...?? maraschino cherries!?


No comments: