Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I can come home now





Because, honestly, I've accomplished the only thing that mattered to me in China. After school, I came home to discover that host mom had prepped vegetarian dumpling filling (Chinese leeks, mushrooms, egg, ginger). This was all new to her, and she had to repeatedly check in with host sister's boyfriend about what would go into a vegetarian dumpling in the days previous. She also couldn't help herself but talk about how meat dumplings are "better" and "the best". Anyway, here glimpse the process and the host mom. I seriously schooled her with my dumpling folding. Look how pretty they are! and they were f*ing delicious, with the cilantro, scallion, soy sauce, ginger, chili oil sauce that we smothered them in. I got the leftovers for breakfast. Have I mentioned that the dog eats a portion of exactly what we eat for dinner? it's absolutely shameless.

2 comments:

kelly said...

yumyumyumyumyum

Anonymous said...

Good God. that might be my favorite post yet. I love your stories about Host Mom and Other Host characters. ugh, i love the hessie stories. -siir'