Monday, September 3, 2007

out to eat


When my host sister and her boyfriend showed up unexpectedly for dinner, host mom was embarrassed that she didn't have enough to feed everyone, so we went out to a restaurant down the street. This is my dream come true, because I get to try a hundred different things that I wouldn't even begin to know how to order.


First (in lower left - and this picture is sideways, sorry), was the very thinly shredded potatoes that were fried to a crisp and topped with a kind of duck-egg chunky sauce. this was ultimate junk food. As was the "Indian Flying Pancake" (aditi?) which was basically a thinly fried bread that had just a hint of banana inside. Awesome. Lastly in this photo series, and the most awesome, was the "ba bao fan" (eight treasure rice), which had a bunch of different sweet things mashed in with glutinous rice and then pan-fried with an egg into a pancake-omelette type food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you're doing it - being vegetarian would make it hard enough to eat there, but all of the egg dishes would put me over the edge. I hope you like eggs?!?!?
-Paige (I'm not really anonymous; I just didn't want to have to register to post a comment.)